All power-transmitting components between the engine and the wheels, including the clutch, torque converter, transmission, transaxle, u-joints, c.v. joints, drive shaft, differential and axles.
Most of us don’t think much about our vehicles drive train until something goes wrong; strange noises, leaks or shifting problems. That’s when we begin worrying about a big repair job.
The more you know about your car and the shop that repairs it, the less reason you’ll have for concern. With regular checking and maintenance, you can expect fewer and smaller repair bills. NOTE: In most cases, a maximum cost can be given by the repair shop – always request it.
Is your car front wheel drive or rear? Front wheel drive incorporates engine, transmission and driving axle in one compact unit.
Rear drive delivers front engine power to the rear wheels through a transmission and drive shaft.
- CLUTCH OR TORQUE CONVERTER – Clutch with manual transmission or torque converter with automatic permits smooth transfer of power from the engine to the transmission.
- TRANSAXLE – is the combined transmission and driving axles in a compact unit, saving weight and space inside the passenger compartment.
- CV (CONSTANT VELOCITY) JOINTS – deliver power to the wheels, twisting and flexing like a wrist joint as the steering wheels turn and the suspension moves or bumps. They are packed with grease and covered with rubber boots.
- TRANSMISSION – Whether front drive or rear, this is the gear shifting mechanism that matches engine speed to road speed and load.
- UNIVERSAL JOINTS – provide flexibility on a rear drive vehicle between the transmission and the rear axle, allowing the axle to move with the irregularities in the road.
- DRIVE SHAFT – is the tubular component connecting the transmission to the rear axle.
- DIFFERENTIAL – is the round housing at the centre of the rear axle. It directs power to the driving wheels and, through its gearing mechanism, permits wheels to turn at different speeds in turns.
If you require repair, service or replacement on your vehicles drive train, visit the page below to get more information and have on of Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centre’s experienced technicians help get you back on the road.